March 6, 2019
503 West Halls Harbour Road
Mutual Aid to Halls Harbour Fire Department
Fire chief says cold temperatures a real problem during battle with blazeHALLS HARBOUR, N.S. —
A fire that flared up and reignited a second time has flattened a Halls Harbour home.
Kentville Volunteer Fire Department fire chief Brian Desloges said the first call to respond to a fire at the building came through around 8 p.m. Mar. 6, when firefighters from Halls Harbour, Canning and his Kentville department responded.
The fire had broken out in the home’s vaulted ceiling, which firefighters were able to rip through and target from the inside of the home.
“They pulled a lot of the ceiling out looking for the fire in that ceiling and found it. All crews were released by Halls Harbour sometime in the morning,” he said.
But then another call came through around 4 a.m. after a member of the public contacted 911 and reported seeing a house on fire from the main road. Crews returned to the scene to find the house fully engulfed in flames.
“The fire had grown so large that it was called in as fully involved before we even got there. The building was completely on fire,” said Desloges.
Desloges said the fight was made difficult by the house’s proximity to the ocean, which made freezing temperatures feel even colder with high winds.
He said while firefighters in the first fight were sheltered inside the house, the second attack was defensive and conducted outside, where firefighters were open to the elements.
“It was -12 and felt colder, and that’s when frostbite can start becoming a concern. The cold also meant some minor freezing on the fire trucks,” he said.
Kentville crews pumped water from the platform of their aerial truck onto the top of the fire to get control of the flames. Desloges said his crew returned to the Kentville station at 7:30 a.m.
Desloges also confirmed an insurance representative is investigating the fire but said this is common practice for any fire. He could not confirm whether fire marshal will investigate.
No one was injured as a result of the fire.